Black pepper has many healthy properties most people donnow about! It’s not like salt which makes our food less healthy and causes heart diseases when too much is added.
I won’t go into the history of black pepper, but will only tell you that it is often referred as “king of spices” for being known to the world since ancient times!
Black pepper has a strong spicy taste that comes from volatile oils, the main one is piperine. In ground peppers, piperine can evaporate if kept open to the air for a long period. All spices are cheap and available at all seasons! So try to make a maximum benefit out of it!!
– Increases the motility of the gastro-intestinal tract, which facilitates the digestion process by increasing gastro-intestinal enzyme secretions. Piperine has also the ability to increase the absorption of selenium, B-complex vitamins, beta-carotene, as well as other essential nutrients in the food.
– Decreases problems of flatulence and bloating, by stimulating certain enzyme secretions, and stopping other enzymes, the ones that cause flatulence!
– Contains good amount of minerals like potassium, zinc, magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure, opposite to salt!!
– Helps in the weight loss process! It just boosts your total metabolism and specifically your fat metabolism. Adding black pepper to foods may help in the treatment of obesity
– Peppers have been used therapeutically in dentistry as an antiseptic for tooth-decay and as a major ingredient in many gums.
Ground black pepper while preparing your favorite dishes! It can be used in the preparation of soups, barbecue sauces, and as main ingredient in variety of curry powders (famous in Indian cuisine). Black pepper can also be used to marinate chicken, fish or meat!
And … Black pepper has no calories!!